SECR 'C' Class Goods - a 2½" gauge Locomotive
by Richard Down
Frames 13 5/8 " overall
Coupled Wheels 2_5/8" diameter
Inside Cylinders ¾" bore x 1_1/8" stroke
Slide Valves operated by Slip Eccentric Gear
Boiler Barrel 2_3/8" o.d. (round top type)
1. G.A. of Engine, Main Frames.
2. Front Buffer Beam, Rear Beam, Driving Wheels, Axleboxes and Axles, Coupling Rods
3. Cylinders and Motion Work.
4. Boiler GA, Smokebox, Fire Bars and Ash Pan.
5. Boiler Fittings, Feed Pump and Lubricator Details.
6. Running Boards and Cab Details.
7. Tender GA and Hand Pump Details.
8. Tender Frames, Wheels and other details.
The complete Drawing Set of 8 sheets, price £14 inc. postage is available from Richard Down, 4 St Nicholas Road, Hythe, Kent.
The following castings are available from the Association :
Driving, coupled amd Tender Wheels
Cylinder block, Steam Chest and Covers
Engine Buffer and Drag Beams and Axleboxes
Smoke Box Door
Tender Buffer and Drag Beams
Tender Dummy Springs, Horns and Axleboxes (lost wax type)
Tender Hand Pump
Sets of the Maunsell period Southern letters and numbers were produced by Ashdown Models.
The Association has stocks of these available to members.
Richard Downs drew up this locomotive design in 1987 for his own
pleasure. It was intended for "scenic line" duties rather than
Following the "discovery" of this design in 2002, a member of the
Association produced patterns for parts not then available, and showed
his chassis at a meeting and at the 2003 Sandown Exhibition.
The full size locomotive was designed by Harry Wainwright for the South
East and Chatham Railway to provide a much needed powerful engine for
the Goods Traffic. 109 were built between 1900 and 1908 at their
Longhedge Works and by Neilson, Reid and Co., and by Sharp, Stewart and
They were simple, well designed and robustly constructed, easily fired
and had free-steaming boilers.
The tenders were 6 wheeled, 4' dia, carried 4½ tons of coal and 3,300
gallons of water.
All 109 survived to work in BR days and the last was withdrawn in 1967,
but purchased by the Wainwright C Preservation Society and now resides
on the Bluebell Railway in Sussex.
This page was last changed on 04/05/2016